Acura RLX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
see the whole review with pictures, specs and more info here: 2014 Acura RLX Review by Joe Wiesenfelder

Sometimes automakers do things that make you scratch your head — a strange name, an odd vehicle, the discontinuation of a model that seemed successful. And in the world of automotive head-scratching, no brand has sold more dandruff shampoo than Acura.
The 2014 Acura RLX is a nice enough luxury sedan, but its place in the market — and even in Acura's own lineup — is another in a long line of head-scratchers.
Over the past dozen or so years, Acura has abandoned such robust model names as Legend, Integra and Vigor for alphabeticals like MDX and RSX [scratch]. It went in a bizarre styling direction that temporarily turned one of the market's nicest looking cars, the TL, into a punch line [scratch scratch]. And who could forget the ZDX [scratch scratch scratch]? Well, most people could, because you can't remember something you've never seen. Only 775 were sold in 2012, and it will be discontinued after 2013 [scalp relief].
The RLX can be viewed as a large midsize sedan or a small full-size one. As such, it's not much different from the RL — last sold as a 2012 model — which it succeeds. Compare the RLX, the RL and the current Acura TL midsize sedan side-by-side here.
The RLX is closer in size to a Buick LaCrosse or Volvo S80 than to such flagship luxury cars as the BMW 7 Series, Jaguar XJ, Lexus LS and Mercedes-Benz S-Class. Acura says it compares to midsize luxury sedans like the BMW 5 Series and Lexus GS, to which it's more closely priced. (See these models compared here.)
Typical of Acuras, the RLX technically comes in one trim level but with a choice of option packages that essentially serve as trim levels, as most of them include a host of unrelated features. The Navigation Package is an exception, as it includes only navigation. There are also Technology, Krell and Advance packages. Krell is the name of a little-known, high-end audio manufacturer that designed the higher of two optional premium stereos. (The more affordable Technology Package includes an ELS premium audio system that's an upgrade over the base RLX stereo, which is also branded ELS.)
We tested the top RLX with Advance Package, which also includes the Krell system.

·
Registered
250 Posts
haha "no brand has sold more dandruff shampoo than Acura."

I had to laugh at this

I can't not admit that Acura does some strange things sometimes.

I don't think the RLX was a bad idea at all. But of course there is a part of me who feels like the RLX AWD should have been the only RLX. They should have integrated PAWs with the AWD. Now that would have been nuts.

·
Registered
102 Posts
haha "no brand has sold more dandruff shampoo than Acura."

I had to laugh at this

I can't not admit that Acura does some strange things sometimes.

I don't think the RLX was a bad idea at all. But of course there is a part of me who feels like the RLX AWD should have been the only RLX. They should have integrated PAWs with the AWD. Now that would have been nuts.
they definitely could have done a much better job, seems like Acura is happy sticking to slow improvements and upgrades rather than taking advantage of an opportunity to do something crazy.

at least the new NSX seems to be something impressive

1 - 3 of 3 Posts